I refer to these websites because the content is updated consistently and
the content is unique, exhaustive, and essential.
- Christin Schillinger. Bassoon Reed Making: A Pedagogic History.
- David McGill. Sound in Motion.
- Laila Storch. Marcel Tabuteau: How Do you Expect to Play the Oboe If You Can’t Peel a Mushroom?
- Johann Joachim Quantz. On Playing the Flute.
- Robert Donington. Baroque Music Style and Performance Handbook.
- Cooper and Toplansky. Essentials of Bassoon Technique.
- William Waterhouse. Bassoon. Yehudi Menuhin Music Guides.
- Mark Eubanks. Advanced Reed Design and Testing Procedures for Bassoon.
- Mark Popkin and Loren Glickman. Bassoon Reed Making.
- Christopher Weait. Bassoon Reed Making: An Illustrated Basic Method.
- J.R. McKay, R.Hinkle, & W. Woodward. The Bassoon Reed Manual: Lou Skinner’s Techniques.
The four earliest Bassoon Methods, two of which can be found on imslp.org, the Almenraeder and Frohlich can be procured through ILL.
- 1787,1803: Ozi, Étienne, Nouvelle méthode de basson http://ks.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/b/b2/IMSLP191781-PMLP330063-Ozi_bassoon_Methode.pdf
- 1811: Joseph Fröhlich, Vollständige theoretisch-praktische Musiklehre
- 1843: Carl Almenraeder, Die Kunst des Fagottblasens, oder, Vollständige theoretisch praktische Fagottschule
- 1887: Jancourt, Eugène, Méthode théorique et pratique pour le basson, Op.15 : http://ks.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/1/1a/IMSLP395722-PMLP640360-Jan_Meth_Bass_1870.pdf
- J. Weissenborn. Method for Bassoon. Preferably spiral bound (can be purchased from instructor or RDG)
- Simon Kovar. 24 Daily Exercises for Bassoon.
- Ferdnand Oubradous. Enseignement Complet du Basson, Scales and Exercises. Books 1 & 2.
- L. Milde/Kovar. Concert Studies Op. 26.
- Alamiro Giampieri/Ricordi. 16 Studi Giornalieri di Perfezionamento.
- Alberto Orefici/Leonard Sharrow. 20 Melodic Studies.
- M. Piard. Quatre Vingt Dix Etudes Pour le Basson. Books & 2.
- Adam Schwalje. bsnMethod: for Beginning Students of the Bassoon or Tenoroon. This is the BEST beginner method yet created, in my opinion.
Bassoonists live and die by fingerings.
International Double Reed Society
There are many different charts available: method books, on-line, individual teaching studios, and circulated around by bassoonist. When teaching fingerings, I try to emphasize that, while there are many options, each bassoonist has to find the fingering that is best suited to their playing, their instrument, and the context in which it is being used.
I judge the efficacy of a fingering through two main components:
- The note must respond with ease
- The note must be in tune
My first resource for fingerings is the Cooper-Toplanksy.
Each year, our field benefits from the academic rigor of bassoonists researching and writing in the pursuit of their terminal degree. I enjoy searching through ProQuest periodically to see what has been added to bassoon academia. These are some that I have found to be valuable resources in my own playing and pedagogy. A few have been published into books or methods and may not be available for download.
- Beginning bassoon instruction: A curriculum based in part on the teachings of Shinichi Suzuki. Schwalje, Adam T.. University of Cincinnati, ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, 2008. 3323922.
- The bassoon pedagogy and publications of Simon Kovar. Bassett, Amy L. Author Information. The Ohio State University, ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, 2007. 3260707.
- An approach to contemporary music pedagogy for beginning and intermediate level bassoonists, including sixty-four original etudes. Patterson, Stephanie Willow. The University of Iowa, ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, 2013. 3608400.
- The life and works of Eugene Jancourt (1815-1901), including a translation and commentary of his "Grande methode theoretique et pratique", opus 15. Badea, Emilian. Boston University, ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, 1992. 9223292.
- Norman Herzberg: An icon of bassoon pedagogy. Cope-Lowe, Carol Loraine. The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, 2008. 3316308.
- The history and current use of bassoon speaker keys. Hunter, Cody Steven. The University of Memphis, ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, 2015. 10296262.
- The pedagogy of bassoon reed making: An historical perspective. Schillinger, Christin. Arizona State University, ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, 2007. 3288009.
- Scale, arpeggio, and interval studies for the bassoon. Jordan, Robert Douglass. The Ohio State University, ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, 2001. 3011014.